What is animal testing?“The term "animal testing" refers to procedures performed on living animals for purposes of research into basic biology and diseases, assessing the effectiveness of new medicinal products, and testing the human health and/or environmental safety of consumer and industry products such as cosmetics, household cleaners, food additives, pharmaceuticals and industrial/agro-chemicals. All procedures, even those classified as “mild,” have the potential to cause the animals physical as well as psychological distress and suffering. Often the procedures can cause a great deal of suffering. Most animals are killed at the end of an experiment, but some may be re-used in subsequent experiments” (Humane Society International).
Fast Five on Animal Testing:
- It is not legally required in the United States to test on animals to demonstrate that products are safe (Humanesociety.org).
- 92% of experimental drugs that are safe and effective in animals fail in human clinical trials because they are too dangerous or don’t work (DoSomething.org).
- Several cosmetic tests commonly performed on mice, rats, rabbits, and guinea pigs include: skin and eye irritation tests where chemicals are rubbed on shaved skin or dripped into the eyes without any pain relief (DoSomething.org).
- Through taxes, charitable donations, purchase of lottery tickets, and consumer products the public knowingly or unknowingly funds animal testing (peta.org).
- The best way to stop companies from animal testing is to refuse to use their products. These products are not limited to cosmetics and beauty product. They also include household cleaning products, and laundry products.
My current favorite Cruelty Free Companies for House, Face, Hair, and Body:
House: Martha Stewart Clean offers a variety of household cleaners from bathroom to kitchen to laundry room. Conveniently available for purchase at your nearest Publix.
Face: Urban Decay and Benefit Cosmetics Everything! My purchase this week…Urban Decay’s Revolution Lipstick in STREAK. And the Benefit Benetint is probably the best cheek and lip stain ever.
Hair: Any and all AVEDA hair products!
Body: Yes To Cucumbers Soothing Body Wash, and Yes To Carrots Super Rich Body Butter.
Now go home chunk your old bad animal tested products, and seek out for your new favorite cruelty free products. It takes a village to end this horrible practice, and it’s so easy to do your part!